April 16, 2010

"Submit" to Commit

It was around 11 o'clock at night. My friend Becca just sent me an email with a discount code for the PDX marathon. Due to the "register before the code expires!" text, I filled in all my information. Then I sat there starring at the "submit" button. Thinking, do I really want to do this? Can I even physically run 26.2 miles?

I had been toying with the prospect of running the Portland Marathon for a few weeks now. In 2009, my dear friend Becca ran it (though she was already a hard-core runner) and truth be told, I was inspired. My only glitch is that I've never run over 7 miles at one time. And when I do, I can't possibly fathom running an additional 19.2 miles. That said, when I see older, fatter people run the marathon the instant thought that goes through my head is, "well shit, if they can do - I surely can!". I mean, come on - Ophra ran the NY marathon. How hard can it be?

Becca recently said in conversation that she doesn't know why someone would run when they hate running. A lot of people hate running. I love running - I just hate certain aspects of running. For instance, I dislike running in the rain and severe cold. I disklike running in groups or with other people. I also don't like being timed. So why would I sign up for a timed marathon with thousands of other people in October? Good freaking question.

As I sat there and starred at the submit button, I finally thought of the real reason behind my hesitation - fear. I feared that I physically would not be able to run 26.2 miles. And then I hit the submit button. It would be one thing if I didn't actually want to run a marathon - but I do. It's another thing entirely when fear is the one factor preventing me. I do not want to live any part of my life in fear. And so with a single action and minus $120 bucks later, I committed to facing my fear head on (with running shoes).

I am keeping this blog for one of two reasons - first being I find it a consistent and helpful way to track my progress (as recently noted with my cleanse diet) and second - I need help, support and motivation from friends who will be training for a marathon as well. If you will be going through a training session or group training, I'd love to have you enter in posts on helpful tips, motivation, diet, whatever. Anything and everything. No detail is too small. Let me know and I'll add you as a contributor! Your friends and family can follow your progress as well!

Commitment made. Now it's time to train.

No comments:

Post a Comment